Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Personal Statement


                                                        I don’t need you                                                          
It was a warm sunny day in mid June. I was sitting down at the doctor’s office. While tapping my feet, all I could hear was the sound of my heart as it pounded faster and faster as the minutes went by. Suddenly the door opens and the doctor yells out “congratulations!” I was about six to seven weeks pregnant. Very deep down inside me I felt a bit of happiness. My boyfriend was waiting for me in the car and now it was time for me to tell him. He wasn’t happy. In fact the first few words that came out of his mouth were, “you’re going to have an abortion right?” Those were the most crucial words anyone had dare say to me. The little bit of happiness I held inside was destroyed. My world grew dark as I knew he wasn’t in this with me, but then came the hardest part of all; telling my parents.
I remember my mother falling to the ground as I was telling her I was pregnant. My father and brother crying as they held my mother up. I remember feeling alone, embarrassed and ashamed. It was unfair how everyone around me made me feel. I was depressed throughout my pregnancy and thereafter. One of the hardest things I had to do in life was telling them I was pregnant. I had many people tell me things such as “you ruined your life,” and in my head I would think “says who?” People constantly said negative comments and it affected the way I thought about myself.
However, I am one of those people who believe in “everything happens for a reason.” I think my son has been a huge motivation to continue my journey with school. While I have some people on one side telling me I can’t do it, I have my own opinion telling me that I can. Who better to listen to than yourself? I won’t give people the satisfaction of seeing me throw my life away. Others thought having a child at a young age was an obstacle to an education, but in fact it’s a greater reason for me to enroll in school. I do not care about proving everyone wrong, I just care about proving myself right.
At some point in our lives we are all questioned with “what do you want to be when you grow up?” I changed my mind quite some times. We discover and learn new things that interest us as were growing along. I always had an interest for working in the healthcare field, but never as much as when I had my first child. My son was the main reason for my interest. During my pregnancy I was more focused on what was happening to me. I’d question any procedure or vaccine given to me. There were many things I was learning throughout the time and that was when the human body began to fascinate me. I was more alert on the way my child developed while being in the womb. Therefore, it led me on to vocational school to become a certified medical assistant. My first job as a medical assistant was working at a pediatrician’s office. Working with children felt like an adventure. I would see them grow and I’d become friends with them. They would inspire me as I saw them fight for their lives. These sick children would help me appreciate the important aspects of life. I found it astounding learning how the human body functions and have a better understanding on diseases, cures and treatments.
 I am currently working for another clinic which is more diverse. I deal with women and men of all ages, pregnancies and patients with mental disorders. It’s impressive how many people I’ve befriended of multiple religions and ethnicities. Although I might not make a huge impact on a person’s life, it’s a good feeling to know there’s always a way to help.
When life hits you with unexpected situations it is up to us to know how to manage those obstacles, but it should never be a reason to stop. Most of the things that happen to us are a result of our own reactions. My son was not an obstacle, but a desire to move forward. My parents might have been an obstacle, but I showed them the difference between their parenting and my own. My son’s father was an obstacle, but I showed him how women could be both mother and father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment