Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Reflection on Personal Statement


I don’t recall writing a personal statement before. Perhaps I have, but it has been quite some time. It could also be that I’ve never written one as personal as this. This has to be one of the toughest papers I have written in a long time. It has also been a huge challenge for me because I’ve finally let someone know how I’ve felt all along and share what I have gone through these past few years.
I’ve never opened up as much before. Never have I had the will or strength to give someone an insight of my personal life. Even my own parents and son’s father have no clue what I really feel or think. I have held many things inside me and by having to write a paper about it in my English class has not really given me a choice, but rather made me overcome my fear. In my paper I shared my deepest emotions, feelings and thoughts with complete strangers. Something I could not even do with my own family. Although they say that sometimes it’s easier to talk to a stranger about your problems only because they are not so quick to judge.  
One of my struggles by writing my personal statement was finding the right words and phrases; also explaining in detail my story. I had to find a way to sort things out without sounding all over the place with my paper. As I was typing, all these memories were coming into mind. If I had jot down everything that happened to me over these past few years I probably wouldn’t have an ending.
Another struggle was the fact that I haven’t been in school for two years. It was a time to refresh what I have learned, to know the structure of an essay and to correct my own grammatical errors. I was too afraid of not making it sound perfect enough, but I knew that simplicity out stood more at times.
The purpose of this paper was clearly to show myself how far I’ve come along with my life, my child, my education and my persona. Making drastic decisions in my life might not have been such a bad idea. Sometimes we have to act quickly, take certain measures and not be so indecisive with our decisions. As I stated in my paper, I dropped out of college to attend vocational school for medical assisting in order to have my foot inside the health field. I’ve had two jobs as a medical assistant with two years of experience on my back, and working my way up.
As I was writing my paper I realized I have come a long way and I am proud of myself for where I’m at now. I’m still in process with my career; probably nowhere close to where I’d like to be, but definitely one step ahead just by going to school. However, it was an excellent idea to get me out of my comfort zone and to open up. This personal statement went from giving me an idea of how to improve my own writing skills to understanding that everyone else faces obstacles in life and I’m not the only single mother out there facing it alone. A quote simply as “the impossible is always possible,” is an inspiration to those who need it like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment